Thursday 10 November 2011

Christmas Stockings and pre-Christmas thoughts.

I've whipped up some Christmas Stockings to be used for holders of gifts/sweets for the many kiddy-winkles I know.  I say whipped up because they truly took no time at all, once I cut out a stocking template, I ransacked my fabric stash and found my Christmas fabric, and mixed and matched it with red/white/green festive looking fabric.  I'm pleased with the outcome. It's great because I think I am finally getting some of the things I've imagined doing when I lay in bed at night.  You know, the endless list that can ramble on and on in one's head, and occasionally the bright spark that breaks through and says to oneself "why don't you make or do this?"


I love Christmas. I love the beautiful intentions that Christmas evoke - the notion of togetherness, of family gatherings, of sharing, of jolliness, of devotion, of magic, and the general good cheer that emerges around this time of year. Or should emerge at this time of year. It is a time of celebration - regardless of whether you are Christian or not -  the general message I find and try to embrace within my own actions and being, is that it is a celebration of life, living, love, a time for reflection, and a time for gratitude. It is a time to look over the jolly good things in one's life and see that it is all fine -- I find, even with my quite somewhat difficult family situation, it is about being thankful that they are their for me, that I belong, that I have great friends and that I have my own intimate little lovely family.  Towards this time of year, I sincerely try to think over my own actions, give myself time to reflect, and try to enjoy LIFE.  Christmas is a great time to say to oneself  "yeah, this is pretty great and I am a lucky girl".  


I try not to let the prospect of a bad Christmas lunch, let's say, because I will be with people who have lost their Christmas cheer, affect my fundamental joy.  I try to put things in perspective, and try to bring cheer to even the most bitter, cynical or sad of people. Sometimes it's impossible, but it's worth trying, especially if it's someone I love and care for.


Here's a picture of my Christmas stockings.....


























Next on the list, which I've had on the list for a very very long time, is to do a Christmas skirt for my tree.  Not to mention: two more quilted cot/throws; a library bag for my little girl who is off to school in the New Year; a basket lining for toys; then, all the quilt-tops I have made but have not basted nor quilted yet. **Sigh** But I'll start on the easiest because short projects give a great sense of satisfaction once completed and usually enough time before the demanding 1 year old wants my attention.




Gorgeous image of Victorian-era Christmas card. Have the girls spotted Santa?  




Good cheer to everyone....

No comments:

Post a Comment