Sunday 17 February 2013

Post-study reflection

Sydney To Hobart Yacht Race- South Head lookout

Welcome!

It has been nearly a whole year since I last added anything to this blog. But alas, much has occurred. I was studying full-time and now have finished. It feels great. I feel renewed and excited about the future. I am job-hunting which is not much fun but necessary. I am looking for a new role, alongside role of mother, wife, sister, friend, for 2013.  So for now, I am enjoying the opportunity to watch a movie or read a book that I've been meaning to do all year...  And of course catch up on the crafty things I've left undone.

So far,

Watched:

Girl Interrupted, starring Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie.   A movie that emotionally moved and brought a few tears to my eyes.

In her shoes, starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette. This is a very light and entertaining movie which is perfect for relaxing.

A lot more thought provoking:

Alain de Botton' s theory about "Religion for Atheists".  Love his ideas about religion. Will buy the book once I can . In the meantime, watch the lecture on http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2012/03/19/3455152.htm


Read:

The Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson.  Read this last night in one sitting. It is very well written, easy to read, and the story pulls at the heart strings. About a sincere and deep friendship that changes the protagonist's view on life.

Tanglewreck, by Jeanette Winterson.  Wow! So many tangents and ideas in this novel. It was a very entertaining read and engrossed me well. It left me wanting to find out more about the characters...

Sisters - Six Australian Writers Explore the Joys and Frustrations of Being a Sister, by Drusilla Modjeska (editor).  Essays, stories, reflections about being a sister. I am a sister. I some the stories very entertaining and thought-provoking, but overall, it made me realise that it is important to value my own sister and see (even if we are on so many levels different) how connected we really are.  The best arguments are always with a sister because there is rarely any politeness in them.

Enjoyed watching the Yachts leave Sydney Harbour on their way to Hobart for the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race.  Fresh air and sunshine, just sublime.
Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race 

It has really only been three weeks since the course has finished but I think I'm off to a good start to unwind, rewind, and relax before it's fast forward time again. 

So, my idea is to grab a cuppa, grab a book and find the time to relax whenever I can....

No comments:

Post a Comment